Our clients are always split into two groups. 30% of them don’t care if the laundry is in a cupboard. The other 70% have grand schemes for a haven of order & functionality.
If you live in a post-war home in Brisbane, you probably have a laundry stuffed into the undercroft of your house (that area between the floor and the dirt!), on your back verandah or in a small extension where your back stairs come up.
This is where mine is. And boy, does my laundry do some heavy lifting. It has a washer, dryer, drying rack, dog food storage (and bowls), dog bed, child proof gate and our red-cycle recycling collection. Not to mention the cleaning products, odd drill & gumboots stored on the bench all in the size of a room I could definitely not swing a cat in. And I’m not going to lie – this is the bit of the house that is really starting to get to me!
Whatever it is you want from your laundry, it can be solved. For me, I’m opting for the euro laundry in or near the kitchen. Given my laundry happens on the weekend, I enjoy the comfortable ‘busyness’ of it close to the kitchen. I’m no Martha Stewart, I like this ‘hub’ while I cook & clean & wrangle the house back into some respectable order!